J P Forrest & Son was founded in 1863 by Mr H P Forrest as Whitesmiths, progressing over the years to Blacksmiths, Ironmongers, Agricultural Engineers and since 1974 principally Heavy Engineers.
Mr James Hodgkinson, father of the current Managing Director, joined the company in 1950 as a David Brown tractor fitter. Upon the retirement of the last generation of the Forrest family to own the company in 1964, James Hodgkinson purchased the company and operated as a sole trader. Mr Hodgkinson gradually built the business up and sold off part of it in 1974 to concentrate on sub-contract fabrication.
The company moved to its present location on Claylands Avenue in 1981. Mr Martin Hodgkinson joined the company three years later in 1984 having spent the previous ten years working for Davy United Engineering Company in Sheffield. J P Forrest & Son today offers a sub-contract engineering service to industry that we believe is second to none.